Blood stock levels
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save up to three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- RT @KingEdVIISchool: #RedBloodDrive @KingEdVIISchool 51 pints donated at the @theSANBS drive on Thurs #welldonelads #savinglives… https://t.co/VgJbxbHCGK 2d ago
- Regular donor and future donor here with us Clearwater Mall. Dishan is hanging out with dad while he saves three li… https://t.co/Mz4oNPw2xx 2d ago
- @MotheoLebelo Hi Motheo. We have a permanent donation centre in Menlyn & do regular drives all around Pretoria. Ple… https://t.co/4Fxu2v4g4I 2d ago
- Remember, donating is easy. Just 3 steps to saving 3 lives. 1) Fill out a donor form. 2) Get an iron test. 3) Sit b… https://t.co/7upR3pTJJv 2d ago
- We're at Clearwater Mall in Gauteng until Sunday th is weekend. Come say hi to our friendly staff and save three li… https://t.co/kZclPgm1dA 2d ago